Drakkar Klose suddenly is in need of a new UFC 277 opponent after Diego Ferreira was forced to withdraw.
A person with knowledge of the situation confirmed to MMA Junkie’s Nolan King that Ferreira pulled out of the July 30 bout because of an injury. BJPenn.com was first to report the news Wednesday, adding that the UFC is actively searching for a replacement with just over two weeks until fight night at American Airlines Center in Dallas.
It’s an unfortunate development for Ferreira (17-5 MMA, 8-5 UFC), who trains out of Dallas’ Fortis MMA gym. The 37-year-old Brazilian was hoping to get back on track in front of a hometown crowd, looking to snap a three-fight losing streak. Prior to the skid, Ferreira was on a six-fight winning streak capped off by a submission of former UFC lightweight champion Anthony Pettis. Ferreira has since lost to Beneil Dariush (split decision), Gregor Gillespie (TKO) and Mateusz Gamrot (TKO).
Klose (12-2-1 MMA, 6-2 UFC), 34, is coming off an April knockout of Brandon Jenkins at UFC on ESPN 34, which was his first fight in two years. He’s won four of his past five bouts, with his lone defeat a knockout against Dariush in March 2020.
Below is the updated UFC 277 lineup:
- Champ Julianna Peña vs. Amanda Nunes – for women’s bantamweight title
- Brandon Moreno vs. Kai Kara-France – for interim flyweight title
- Derrick Lewis vs. Sergei Pavlovich
- Magomed Ankalaev vs. Anthony Smith
- Rafael Alves vs. Drew Dober
- Ramiz Brahimaj vs. Michael Morales
- Alexandre Pantoja vs. Alex Perez
- Nicolae Negumereanu vs. Ihor Potieria
- Don’Tale Mayes vs. Justin Tafa
- Drakkar Klose vs. opponent TBA
- Mariya Agapova vs. Ji Yeon Kim
- Ignacio Bahamondes vs. Ludovit Klein
- Orion Cosce vs. Blood Diamond
For more on the card, visit MMA Junkie’s event hub for UFC 277.